Ways to Get Rid of Lice
There are many different ways to get rid of lice; but they can all be separated into two different categories:
- Natural remedies
- Insecticides and pesticides
Natural remedies are always the preferred choice, because the toxic chemicals found in lice treatment insecticides can be harmful, especially when applied to a child's scalp.
What are Some Natural Ways to Get Rid of Lice?
There are many natural ways to get rid of lice, and many of them are even located right in your kitchen pantry. Some of the best natural remedies for lice are:
- Lice and nit combs are the most recommended first line of attack against lice, nits, and eggs. This method requires a bit of patience, as it can take hours or days to do a thorough job. But itÕs natural, pain-free, and effective.
- Olive oil is a great way to get rid of lice naturally. Thoroughly saturate the entire head with the olive oil and then wrap in a plastic hair net or plastic wrap. Let the oil sit for at least two hours, preferably three before thoroughly washing and rinsing the oil out of the hair.
- Heat treatment is another great way to get rid of lice. After any lice treatment, dry the childÕs hair with a blow dryer on a low setting. Note that this should only be done with natural treatments, as some insecticides contain flammable ingredients
- Like heat treatment, a freeze treatment will also kill lice and their eggs. Of course, your child canÕt go in the freezer but clothing, bedding, and anything else you canÕt machine-wash can!