How to Get Rid of Head Lice
There are many natural remedies to get rid of head lice, and these methods are usually best as they are the least toxic and the least harmful to the affected person. However, sometimes natural remedies just aren't enough and medications may be needed to get rid of head lice for good. When trying to get rid of head lice with medications, there are two different types to choose from:
- Over the counter medications
- Prescription medications
Over the Counter Medications to Get Rid of Head Lice
- Permethrin creme rinse 1% is a common medication that's used to get rid of head lice. It can be found in over-the-counter medications such as Nix. Nix is applied into the hair and then rinsed off. After being washed out, Nix will continue to kill lice and their eggs for up to two weeks.
- Pyrethrin and piperonyl butoxide-based shampoos such as Pronto and Rid are other common over-the-counter remedies to get rid of head lice. After the first application, which is left on for 10 minutes and then rinsed out, another application is needed in one week.
- Jolis Cheveux Natural Lice Treatment products - 100% natural and organic, these products are non-toxic to your child and do a great job getting rid of head lice.
Prescription Medications to Get Rid of Lice
- Permethrin cream 5%, which is a much stronger solution than OTC cream rinses and is left on much longer.
- Malathion lotion works much like permethrin cream in that it's applied and left onto hair for a long time (8-14 hours.) However, it must also be applied one week after the initial treatment.